Thursday, April 18, 2013

Reflections on the Boston Marathon Tragedy

     In 1997 I had the unfortunate and completely unexpected experience of learning that my wife no longer wanted to be married to me. We had a four year old daughter at the time and I was very content. My world was turned upside down. In the wake of the overwhelming stress and anguish that accompanies such experiences I began smoking cigarettes and partaking in a nightly ritual of listening to depressing music with a glass of bourbon (or two). I found myself in a state of depression, not having much desire to do anything but wallow in my sorrow. Then one night I did something different to try to break out of this hopeless routine. I RAN! I ran for about a mile and a half until the burning in my legs and lungs become too much to continue. Despite the extreme physical discomfort I was in, I felt better than I had felt in a long time. So, the next night I ran again. And the night after that. Soon I was running two miles. Before long I participated in my first 5k race. Running became my escape, my sanctuary, my religion. It was the only part of my day where nothing could bother me. No unwanted phone calls, no bad news in the mailbox, no traffic jams, no pending deadlines. Just me and the quiet calm of evenings and the open road beneath my feet. I found a peace in running that I have never experienced in any other activity.

     In addition to becoming my outlet for decompressing from stress and "getting my head right," running soon became a vehicle for personal challenges and to strengthen my body mind and soul. I decided to challenge myself in a way that was far greater than I ever had in my life. I decided to train for a marathon. When I ran the idea by a co-worker (the only person I personally knew who had ever run a marathon) he suggested if I was going to do it that I join the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training program and run in honor of cancer victims. I took the advice and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Not only did running with a group of people who shared the same common goal inspire me not to give up when training pushed me to my limits; but I had the opportunity to meet so many incredibly inspiring cancer survivors, many of them children. I raised over $10,000 for the cause while pursuing my goal of completing my first marathon in June 2000.

     What does this have to do with what occurred on Monday at the Boston marathon you might be asking. I have repeatedly watched the raw video of the first explosion near the finish line. I watch the video from a somewhat unique perspective. The first thing I notice is the time on the official marathon clock (4 hours and nine minutes). I have run a total of six marathons. My fastest time was 3:52 and my slowest time was 4:16. My first thought was that had I been running in Boston on Monday I would have been at or near the finish line and therefore at or near the explosion. Boston along with The Marine Corps and New York marathons are commonly thought of as the "world series" of marathons. Having completed New York and the Marine Corps marathons I have a complete understanding of what an awesome experience it is to run in such a tremendous event with tens of thousands of runners and tens of thousands of spectators throughout the 26.2 mile course. I know the unparalleled feeling of crossing that finish line to the cheering of spectators knowing you have just accomplished something that only 1% of the world population has done. So I could not help thinking of the thousands of runners that did not get to cross the finish line Monday. Those who have spent the past several months training to prepare for this. Who have run through the rain, snow, heat and cold. Who have run in honor of someone they have lost or some other charitable cause like I had. All of them denied their moment. What is so appealing to me about marathon running is that so many who participate bring with them such compelling stories. Each has used the goal of completing a marathon as a vehicle to overcome personal adversity. There are cancer survivors, amputees, war veterans and many other examples of heroes and role models that participate. And many of whom on this day saw their goals and dreams ruined by such a cowardly act.

     The next thing I noticed while watching the video of the explosion was Bill Iffrig, the elderly runner whose legs buckled under him as he collapsed from the force of the explosion, just several yards from the finish line. I would later learn that Mr. Iffrig is 78 years old and was about to complete his 45th marathon! Among the many small acts of inspiration we witnessed in the aftermath of the explosions was Mr. Iffrig being helped to his feet and crossing the finish line. I could not help but see the symbolism that Mr. Iffrig displayed for all Americans. We may get knocked down, but we will get back up and not be denied our ability to achieve and be free.

     Of course, the worst tragedy that came from this event is the victims caused by the explosions. Their stories that have been reported are heartbreaking. Among them are the two brothers who each lost a leg. The young girl who loved Irish dancing that lost a leg. Many others who lost limbs and whose lives will never be the same. And worst of all, the story of the Richard family whose 8 year-old son, Martin, was killed. Martin's mother and 6 year old sister remain in critical condition with serious injuries sustained in the blast. As the father of an 8 year old I could not even imagine the depths of sorrow Martins' family is feeling. Being the father of an 8 year old was also one of the reasons that led me to spend Christmas in Newtown, CT. delivering gifts to first responders, teachers and children after the Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy. In an unbelievably sad twist of fate many of the Newtown survivors and family members were either participants or spectators at the marathon.

    The last thing I noticed in the video were dozens of yellow vested Boston Police Officers instinctively and without hesitation running towards the bombing site immediately following the blast. It is in moments like this that I could not be prouder of the profession  I chose over 20 years ago. Law Enforcement Officers so often are the target of criticism and usually it is our mistakes that capture the media attention. How unfortunate that it takes a tragic event like this to show the world the true character and heroism of those who wear the badge. I would be remiss if I did not mention the many citizens that also rushed to the aid of victims after the explosions. Collectively the officers and these citizens demonstrated what our country is all about. As Boston District Attorney, Dan Conley so eloquently stated, "Moments like these, terrible as they are, do not show our weakness, they show our strength."

    This weeks act of kindness is making a donation to the Boston First Responders Fund which has been established by the members of the Boston First Responders community to provide relief to victims of the marathon bombing. You can learn more about this fund and how to make a donation here.

   Checks can be sent to:
Boston First Responders Fund
c/o Boston Firefighters Credit Union
60 Hallet St.
Dorchester, MA 02124

    May we all live to run another day!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing is the voyage you took this reader on. Honored is the feeling you have afforded this reader to experienced. Having served this Nation to know first hand the necessary fibers that intertwine First Responders to answer the call and often cries. You have captured the emotion of love of life and the value of human-ness. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete