Thursday, May 23, 2013

(Not) Just Another Name on the Wall


     Last Friday I attended a Baltimore Orioles game with my 8 year old daughter, Leila. As we stood in line to buy ice cream there was an Army soldier in full uniform who walked past us. I could not help but notice how young he looked. If not for the uniform I would have guessed 15 at most. I must admit, I have become the "salty" veteran on the police force who finds himself more and more frequently complaining of the younger generation and how they lack the sense of respect and work ethic of my generation. But as I looked at this baby-faced soldier I could not help but swell with appreciation for him and the many young people like him who still answer the call to duty and serve their country. I have had a great life in the "land of the free," reaping the many benefits of our free society. This only occurs because of the sacrifices made by so many young people throughout our country's history who have laid down their life, unfortunately before they had barely lived, so that others like me could have a fulfilled life. 

     The following day I took Leila to Washington, D.C. to visit the Abraham Lincoln memorial. She had recently read a book about Lincoln and to my delight was very interested in learning more about him. As we made our way across the National Mall toward the Lincoln Memorial we came upon the Viet Nam War Memorial. I explained to Leila what the monument stood for and how there were over 58,000 names of American soldiers who lost their life in the war. The average age of those who died was 19. I thought about the night before and the young soldier I had seen. Leila asked if I knew anyone whose name was on the wall.  I explained that I did not and that I was born near the end of the war. We decided to randomly pick a name from the wall and honor that person. The name we chose was John Ringholm. We transferred his name onto a piece of paper and looked forward to "Googling" it when we got home  to learn more about John Ringholm and the life he lived. Sadly, what we found was a life that has all but been forgotten. John was 19 years old when he was killed in action June 24, 1970 (5 days shy of his 20th birthday). John was from Middletown, New York and from what it appears was an only child. If our research was accurate both of his parents are now deceased. One thing that was really disheartening was that when we searched his name on Viet Nam Veterans Memorial Fund page this is the image that comes up with his profile:


     The fact that a young man can give his life for his country and be so anonymous as this is heartbreaking. How many of the other 58,000 names has time forgotten? Leila and I have purchased bracelets that memorialize John Ringholm and his sacrifice so that he will not be forgotten (memorial bracelets). I invite each of you to at least visit the Viet Nam War Memorial Fund website given above and leave a reflection of appreciation for John or any other soldier.

     This Memorial Day weekend while you are enjoying the beach, cookouts, and any other activities I hope everyone finds a small moment in time to remember what the holiday is for and those who it honors.





No comments:

Post a Comment